Dry type transformer don’t need any kind of insulated liquid where the winding with core of this transformer can be immersed. Instead, the windings with the core is preserved within a tank which is sealed tight with air pressure.
Advantages of Dry Type Transformers
- It keeps the people and property safe
- This solution needs no maintenance and leaves no residual that leads to pollution
- It is easily installable
- The side clearance is less
- This transformer is ecofriendly
- This reduces the cost on civil installation and fire protection systems
- In case of any kind of seismic events, its performance is excellent nonetheless
- There is no kind of fire hazard with this transformer
- These transformers are totally short circuit current resistant
- They are durable because of low thermal and dielectric heating
- It is ideal for damp and contaminated areas.
Disadvantages of Dry Type Transformers
- Certainly dry type transformers are durable and have less chances of ending up in a winding failure. However, once it fails, the whole set up needs to be changed. In other words, the high voltage and low voltage winding with limb entirely.
- For the exact power and voltage rating, these transformers are expensive than the oil cooled transformer.
Applications of Dry Type Transformers
- Dry type transformers are used in chemical, oil, and gas industries
- They are also used in environmentally sensitive locations like water protection sites
- They are also useful in fire risk areas like forests
- They are also installed in inner city substations
- Not to forget, indoor and underground substations as well
- They are also used in renewable generation like the off shore wind turbines.
Advantages of Cast Resin Dry Transformer
- These transformers have better over load capacity
- They also leave a low partial discharge with low amount of loss. Hence, the efficiency is at paramount.
- Like the non-inflammable winding insulation, there is no risk to a fire hazard as well. So, it can be safely installed inside.
Advantages of Vacuum Pressure Impregnated Transformer
- It has a high mechanical strength
- It has a void free insulation as well
- This transformer promises zero temperature fluctuations
- It is easy to maintain
- It offers a very low chance of a fire hazard.